At Grocery Pup, our mission is to provide the yummiest, most nutrient rich food for your pup. On top of providing awesome food choices, we’re all about finding new ways to help you and your pup rock a healthy and happy lifestyle together.
Everyone deserves a relaxing ‘spaw’ day (even if bathtime isn’t a certain furry friend’s favourite activity), so we’ve compiled a quick and dirty guide to finding the safest, healthiest grooming products without any sacrifices to luxury or your wallet!
Dogs, especially water dogs like labradors, are like cast iron cooking pans–you don’t wash them too often, and when you do, it’s just with warm water, and mild soap. Dogs need the natural oils their skin produces to maintain healthy skin and a healthy coat–it actually helps them repel smells!
An important note before we dig into some of our fave products, please remember that a product labelled as a “safe for you” does not always mean safe for your pupper. With that in mind, it is super important to know what ingredients to avoid.
THE BAD STUFF
Things to Avoid:
- Anything Difficult to Pronounce.
- Chemical detergents and solvents like Cocamide-MEA, Triethanolamine, Sodium Laureth Sulfate (SLES) or any similar sulfates, or propylene glycol.
- Artificial Colors
- Mineral Oils. These come from are by-products of petroleum refining, and prevent your dog’s skin and coat from naturally eliminating daily dirt and grime on their own.
- “Fragrance” or “Parfum,” unless derived from appropriate essential oils.
On A Smelly Note: Dogs have 30 million scent receptors to our mere 5 million, which means they process scents in a much more involved way than we can. So go with unscented products, or products that have naturally derived scents that your pup might come across on a walk (chamomile, rosemary, lavender, mint)
THE GOOD STUFF
DO Look for products with shorter ingredient lists, which feature ingredients that are easy to pronounce.
- Coconut Oil
- Olive Oil
Some of Our Fave Products:
Shampoos and Conditioners
Cloud Star Buddy Wash
- Love: Charcoal Detox . It’s great for brightening the colour of the coat and absorbing toxins.
- Love: “Skunk Off”. Finally! A natural shampoo that removes persistent skunk odor and doesn’t contain nasty fragrances and chemicals.
- Love: Geranium Shampoo Bar. This baby helps reduce waste by nixing the bottle, and helps protect your pup from bugs. Safe for sensitive skin (people and pet) because it’s free of cedarwood oil!
- Love: Pest Free Sampler Pack. A great deal as summer (and bug season) approaches!
BONUS: Wondercide is based in Austin, Tx, just like Grocery Pup!
Love: Unscented Wipes , Unscented Shampoo, foaming, waterless bath (for pets who especially hate bath time). Great prices, availability (easy to find it at many big pet chains), hypoallergenic, chemical-soap-free.
BONUS: Earthbath goes the extra mile by telling you all of the ingredients you will never see in their products. Some of their scents are strong, so their unscented choices are a great option!
Love: Oral Care Pen and Pet Pure Cleansing Oral Care Spray. Crazy easy to use– the pen twists out toothpaste like a lipstick, and you paint it on with the attached brush! The spray, we spritz onto a tug toy like a rope or twisted up towel, and play tug-of-war!
BONUS: Pet Pure By Dr. Brite was created by two dog-loving dentists, and is a woman-created and owned business!
Extra Spaw Treatments
Love: designed specifically for those pups who have Hyperkeratosis of the nose and/or paw pads, or just need a little extra moisturizer. Non-slip, smells awesome.
Spaw Time Pro Tips:
BEFORE BATH TIME (Prepare your space)
- If using a tub or shower, place a “No-slip” mat in the tub to help your buddy feel extra secure. An old yoga mat, cut down to size is great in a pinch!
- Clean the walls of your shower with some mild dish soap and warm water, then smear a bit of peanut butter (no sugar, salt, or hydrogenated oils) to the wall where your pup can snack on it while you bathe them.
Get out lots of towels in advance so your pup doesn’t have wait to get dry, or so that they don’t go dry off on the furniture!
Have some high-value treats ready as a delicious reward!
DURING BATH TIME
- Bathe head and face last, and avoid getting water in ears, eyes, mouth, and/or nose.
- Be sure to let your pup know they’re being super good for letting you clean them up, and give lots of love during the wash down. Personally, we like to sing to our pups and do lots of nose kisses!
- Wash and rinse head and neck last
AFTER BATH TIME
- Have plenty of towels at the ready!
- Be sure your pup doesn’t slip getting out of the tub
- Scrub your pup dry
- Give some high value, healthy treats!
- Enjoy the “After Bath Zoomies!”
- Give LOTS of cuddles!
- Feed some tasty Grocery Pup!